Relleno Review: La Cazuela


La Cazuela on the DTL square has long been a mainstay for Gwinnetians seeking excellent Mexican fare, making it the perfect destination to begin our Relleno Review column here at the Daily Gwinnetian. It is also conveniently located on my way home from work, and there was an open parking space directly in front of the entrance.

The chile relleno at La Caz initially proved slightly harder to procure than expected, though the end result was well worth the delay. I ordered a single chile relleno a la carte to go, but despite his most valiant efforts to ring one up, the cashier was unable to accommodate my request as the menu does not offer a la carte items, so I settled on a Tex Mex combo of one chile relleno, rice, and refried beans for $9.54.

The drive home proved almost unbearable as savory notes of warm poblano, rice, and beans filled my car, nearly forcing me to pull over and consume my dinner on the roadside. When I finally made it home and dug into the long-awaited repast, my taste buds were awarded with a dizzying explosion of flavor that bordered on the divine.

The sun-ripened poblano was of an admirable size and stuffed with the perfect amount of cheese, which provided a smooth and silky counterpoint to the pepper's subtle heat, and sublimely fried in a delicate egg wash. The red sauce and queso topping rounded out the flavor profile with a slightly tangy finish to each delectable morsel. Strongly recommended; I even ate the stem.

Comments