Relleno Review: El Jinete


Despite rumors of vampirism in Dacula, I made the trek out to El Jinete to sample the wares. El Jinete offers both a chile relleno and chile poblano, which I found slightly confusing, as my understanding of a chile relleno is that it is traditionally made with a poblano pepper. However, as we have seen before, some restaurants don't follow this guideline, so I ordered the poblano, which was my most expensive relleno yet at $7.25, coming to $11.14 with a side of rice.

Was it worth the price? I was happy to see a full poblano pepper and not a cut slice. The recipe was a classic relleno, stuffed only with cheese, no ground beef, but the poblano was almost tasteless and could have perhaps benefitted from brining before roasting to bring out the flavor. It was good, but no comparison to the godly fare at La Cazuela, and $7.25 seems a little steep for one relleno. 


I must confess that I had ulterior motives when visiting El Jinete. I've been going there off and on for years, and I have always had a fascination for this painting. I've even trying buying it from them a few times for what I considered a princely sum, only to be turned down. El Jinete, if you're reading this, name your price.

Comments